A well-matched colour scheme will always be at the core of any interior design. Regardless of what style you are planning to arrange your bedroom, living room or kitchen, it is the colour that you need to pay special attention to. This is what you need to deal with in more detail.
Why the colour matters?
Many people think that is enough to choose a palette to your liking and it is supposed to automatically make the interior design beautiful, stylish and harmonious. Indeed, many more factors to consider than simply the aesthetic appeal of certain finishing materials and the client’s personal preferences. For example, deep red color is not particularly suitable for the bedroom. However, in the kitchen or in the living room it will definitely look great. Scientific researches have proven that every color has its own effect on a person’s mood and health, so approach this choice seriously.
Clearly identify the purpose of each room. This will help to make your house comfortable and cozy. Choosing an appropriate colour scheme for the children’s room, you have to rely on the delicate pastel shades, as they will favorably influence the baby and ensure that they fall asleep faster and easier. Red shades in the such room will make your child active and lively, but do not expect a long and calm sleep.
The basic rules of combining colours in the interior
All colors in the interior can contingently be divided into warm and cold ones with the line between them being really fragile and virtually imperceptible. The most prominent representative of a warm colour scheme is orange and a blue palette can be noted predominant among the cold colours. Usually the prevailing majority designers recommend abstaining from mixing warm colors with the cold ones. However, the sensible arrangement of the transition between them can visually correct the room space, make it larger or smaller, as well as hide certain disadvantages.
The basic rules of colour combination are as follows:
- When working with large rooms, it is better to give your preference to warm colours. They will grant the room specific coziness, fill it with the positive atmosphere and the soothing soft warm light.
- The small rooms logically require visual expansion. This task is best managed by applying various elements of the cold palette that will make the low ceilings virtually imperceptible and ensure that in this room you will always feel easy natural.
- Kitchen should be your personal cooking temple and reflect what enjoy most. Colourful and juicy walls and ceilings kindle the appetite. If you keep to the principles of proper nutrition, it is better to choose a more soft and subdued colours, to think less about the food which you are limiting yourself in.
- In the bedroom, it is necessary to create the most comfortable conditions for your rest. Bright colours will never allow you to relax completely, so rather think of pastel colours. The light shades of brown, cream and pink guarantee a romantic relaxing atmosphere, which is to be emphasized by the effectively matching lighting.
- Do not pursue the so-called “right” combination of colours. The thing is that it actually does not exist. To draw the interior design, the artists strive to seek the most successful variants for a particular customer, trying to take into account all of their preferences and wishes as precisely as possible.
How to achieve the harmony of colour?
The two things a good designer always fears are the boredom and monotony in the interior. There is no need to paint a room in one colour without additional colorful elements, as then you will always have that particular feeling that something is missing. Listen to your inner voice and taste, but do not forget about colour harmony. Plain wallpaper can be decorated with stylish panels or supplement their decorative unit. Besides, a well-selected combination of contrasting elements always looks boldly and a little challenging. Consequently, the color scheme may be as follows:
1) Monochromatic. For such interior it is best to select the materials of the same color, optionally just a few shades lighter or darker. It is pretty nice to emphasize the refinement of the one colour room by using small bright specks that will not disrupt the overall style of it.
2) Harmonious. In this sense, the colour combination is to be between the sister palettes. They must be different, light or dark, saturated or soft, but not yet contrasting. For everything to be matching in style and harmony, make a choice in favour of one basic colour – it will dominate the overall atmosphere and the other shades will just play their complementary roles.
3) Contrasting. The play of contrasts is relevant in the cases where the design space is specially created for the brave, bold and creative dwellers. It is, however, important not to overindulge with the colors, because then the originality and brightness may simply be excessive, and all the efforts will be vain. Do adhere to the correct contrasting combinations. For example, green goes with red or yellow with purple.
Experts say that there are only four primary colours, and the rest are merely their derivatives:
- Blue. All shades of this palette reflect freshness, ease, calmness, coolness and quietness, so reasonably blue decoration materials are widely used for the design of bedrooms and children's rooms. A significant part is played by the degree of saturation. Dark colours propagate mental relaxation and gentle pastel variations help to freshen up any room and visually enlarge the space of the room.
- Red. The places in the cabaret style, such as modern night clubs are not accidentally designed in red and the shades of red. It is because they stir up the fire, passion and warm up the blood in the hearts of people. Choosing this color is usually an indicator of a strong and powerful person. Logically, the people with weak mentality should not choose this colour scheme for the design of their homes; otherwise, they will constantly feel stressed and emotionally depressed.
- Yellow. The noble warm golden hues have long possessed positive energy, as well as symbolized wealth, fertility, and joy. For your house to be flooded with an atmosphere of happiness and freedom, it is necessary to fill it with such colour elements. Doctors say that yellow has a positive effect on the process of treating diabetes.
- Green. This colour combines practically everything you need: natural motifs, tranquility, freshness and coolness. It is normally chosen by young and active people. All shades of green are especially beneficial for people suffering from various eye maladies, respiratory tract and nervous system problems.
The examples of bright colour combinations in the interior
A lot of modern housewives are dreaming of a non-standard design of their apartment or house, but only a few dare to get down to such drastic changes, mostly in fear of failure. Redecoration always costs money, so nobody wants the expensive materials and the efforts of the workers to be spent in vain. The good old classics, will certainly not cause any problems. If it is only the complexity that prevents you from realize your potential, then our bright examples of successful combinations will surely inspire you to new achievements:
- Delicate beige colour can well be regarded as almost universal, because it looks harmonious and profitable in virtually any setting. The perfect complements to it are emerald green, blue, red, brown or black colours.
- Not less demanded and popular is the snow-white colour scheme, which is to be supplemented with red, black or blue color elements.
- Magic turquoise looks surprisingly stylish, combined with cherry or violet hues, as well as in the company of a yellow or brown colour. They will act as stylish and refrained add-ons to each other.
- If you have chosen a pale yellow pastel as the primary colour for the interior decoration, you should think about the additional blue, red, gray or purple elements.
- Noble marsala goes well with rich, warm shades of orange accompanied with a deep gray or sandy colour. The white elements will favourably refresh the colourful atmosphere.
- Speaking of the blue colour scheme, it will be perfectly complemented by pink, white, gray, cream-colored or red accents.
- Saturated lemon shade will look fresh and juicy in the company of violet, purple or blue decorative elements. It is also worth experimenting with a black or gray palette.
- Green colours can profitably be combined with yellow, brown and milk components, as well as contrast interestingly with the red additions.
- Blood-red colour scheme will definitely impress you in combination with the noble black decor. However, supplemented with a white or yellow it will look softer.
- Combine brown with blue, pink or peach – perfect solution for a modern romantic bedroom design.
- Saturated shades of purple can easily be balanced with the help of an olive colour or white, pink, gray and yellow specks.
- If you really like crimson, supplement it with black. Applying snow-white accents you can get a really original feminine interior for a successful business woman.
- Warm orange palette will literally refresh the design in combination with blue, turquoise or purple hues. This tandem is the characteristic of the interior design in the oriental style.
- Basic gray sparkles with bright colours in the company of a rich fuchsia, purple shades, as well as the accents of pink or blue.
- The versatility of black makes it a perfect base for a variety of stylistic combinations, but bright summer sun shades go with it best of all.
Now it is up to you just to choose your perfect option! Do not, however, forget that the colour of flooring and furniture should also be taken into consideration in the process of selecting textiles or wallpaper.